Welcome to the world of Narrowboating

To risk is to live!

Wednesday 12 December 2012

Another year passes…

It is my birthday today and so I have been spending a little time reflecting on the past year. It has been full of highs and lows; the highest high being my cruise in the summer, the highest bit of that was crossing the Pontcysllyte Aqueduct…

boat crossing pont

The low points include losing my job and breaking my leg…

disastrous end!

I think the most significant part of the year though is the changes it has brought about in me. I thought solitude and ploughing my own furrow was everything and that anybody who ‘invaded my space’ was to be resisted. I indulged in that solitude to the full on my cruise and absolutely loved it. I came back dreaming of finding a solitary mooring, away from all the stresses and strains of living alongside other people.

Then I broke my leg, and in one stroke was totally dependent on the kindness and care of others. And how my friends rose to the challenge!! Despite me pushing people away and being generally unsociable, they looked after me and enabled me to move back onto my boat and survive on it. This has changed me at a profound level. I feel that I can really trust people for the first time in my life. Now I am seeing my friend Jan every day when she helps walk Bon and it’s lovely. If for any reason she can’t stay for a cuppa afterwards, I miss her! If anyone had told me that I had to see someone every day, be accompanied to go shopping, laundry, walks etc. I would have said ‘just shoot me in the head! But now I’m just grateful every day that I am moored in a community of such lovely people.

Here is Jan walking her dog and mine…

jan the dog walker

6 comments:

Lynda Alsford said...

I'm so pleased you have such a good friend nearby. She sounds like such a lovely person.

Reading your post, and thinking of my own life too, makes me wonder how well we ever really know ourselves. We think we want one thing but then something happens to change that and we turn in the opposite direction.

Life is interesting to say the least! Every blessing to you in the coming year.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Mandy! Neil x

Nev Wells said...

Happy Birthday Mandy

Nev & Rachel

Marian and Roger said...

Happy Birthday Mandy, and Happy Christmas too!

Friends are important and it sounds like you have some very good ones. Glad your leg is healing. All the best on Don't Panic for 2013 and we'll try to send you the story of the boat's first ever big cruise (1996) that included the Thames Tideway to Limehouse.

Roger & Marian x

Lisa said...

A very happy birthday Mandy, a new year coming, a new ankle hopefully will carry you to horizons new.
Good luck to you and Happy Christmas too,
Lisa
PS Pass on Seasons Felicitations to Jan and Graham form us please

Mandy Wright said...

Will do Lisa - in fact she is reading this as I type and she sends her best wishes back to you